Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I think I'm cured; in fact, I'm sure of it

July 4, 2011

Feliz Dia da IndependĂȘncia, pessoal!

Do you guys have big plans for today? We do! It's a little overcast outside, so conditions aren't exactly ideal for a Fourth of July barbecue, but we're going to have one anyway! Another dupla in the zone is putting on a barbecue for everyone, so we're going to head over here later. I'm not really sure what to expect, but I think our barbecue this year will be a Brazilian one -- that means there won't be any hot dogs or hamburgers, just steak, sausage, and maybe some chicken. Vamos ver if it turns out well. I'm going to miss the fireworks this year, but I'll survive.

I had forgotten that today was Independence Day until this morning when my companion blasted the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the national anthem. America! America! God shed His grace on thee! Woo! USA! USA! We're both wearing red and blue ties today to celebrate.

Anyway, this week was pretty normal. I'm convinced that this city is trying to kill me, though. I have never gotten sick so many times in a single place than here in Araraquara. This week I had a pretty serious head cold. I still do, actually. Sister Prieto told me to take Allegra-D, so I'm reminded of the Sheffields every time I take my medicine. I can't tell if it's making much of a difference, though, because I'm still horribly congested. And the foot doctor told me before that my toe isn't healing because of my cold (it seems like I've had a cold off and on for the past month or so). So there's that. Also, I think I have athlete's foot. Yeah.

But the work must go on! This week ended in disappointment because one of our most promising investigators, a thirty-ish year old woman named Simone, was interviewed, and even though she passed, she wants to wait some more time to be baptized. But then she doesn't want to schedule a baptismal date. So, yeah. And we've already taught her everything, so I don't really know what we're going to do with her now. I just hope things work out!

I went to my last fast and testimony meeting in Brasil yesterday. Weird. I bore my testimony.

Something cool is happening that I don't think I've told you guys about yet: a guy named Einstein has been investigating the Church for a few months now. I think I mentioned him before -- he was found as some of the old elders were knocking doors. He couldn't get baptized, though, because he isn't married. And as odd as it seems, his "wife" was the one who didn't want to go through the process of making their marriage legal. She's also not too interested in the Church, so that might have something to do with it. Anyway, for whatever reason, Einstein's wife came around, and they have already paid for and scheduled the wedding. The "wedding" is really just going to be the signing of the documents, but we're planning to have a lunch for them and then baptize Einstein (and hopefully his wife and son) later that day! The only bummer is that the earliest they could schedule the marriage process was on the 30th of July, which will be a mere three days after I leave Brasil. I really wish I could be here for the wedding and baptism, but I guess it's more important that it happens at all. Cool, though, huh?

Anyway, that's that. I hope you guys all have a great Fourth of July and a great week! I love you! The Church is true!

America,

Elder Wiggins

No comments:

Post a Comment