Sunday, July 3, 2011

We just want to emote 'til we're dead

June 20, 2011

Good morning, everyone! Tá tudo bem aí?

This week was pretty quiet for me, because I have been kind of deaf the whole time (see attached photo). I was unable to hear anything out of my left ear when I woke up last Monday. We went to a little health clinic, and it turns out that both of my ears are pretty clogged up. So that's kind of nasty. Anyway, the doctor gave me some ear drops that I've been using, but they just make the ear wax softer so you can flush it out. And because we went to a little health clinic, there isn't really anything else we can do there. We managed to find an ear, nose, and throat doctor, and on Thursday we scheduled an appointment with him, but he unfortunately couldn't attend to me until today. So I'm going there today at 11:30 to hopefully get my ears unplugged. It's a good thing, too, because it felt like I had earplugs in all week. I can't tell when I'm muttering or yelling, so I probably freaked out a few investigators when I shouted out our whole lesson. Sorry!

Our week was pretty normal; we walked and worked and taught. It seems like we have had some kind of setback every week for the past month or so. One of us gets sick, or we lose a day of work because we have to go to a conference in Ribeirão, or something of that sort. This week was the ears thing. I'm hoping that this coming week will be free of annoying little hold ups.

The ward had a festa junina on Saturday night, which was pretty cool. It's a tradition in Brasil to have parties in the fall / winter part of the year where they basically celebrate being rednecks...? It's hard to explain, and it doesn't help that it's a completely bizarre idea. Basically, people dress up in flannel shirts and overalls and draw freckles and beards on their faces, and they leave really loud hick music playing in the background and serve all kinds of traditional Brasilian "caipira" (hillbilly) foods. Pretty much all the food has some kind of corn in it. They serve popcorn, a delicious sweet corn dessert called canjica, hot dogs, cake, caldo (it's basically split pea soup without the peas), and a hot drink that's kind of like Mom's Christmas punch, but without the orange and pineapple juice. The ward's party turned out really well. There were a ton of non-members there, and we had a little stand set up with pamphlets, pass along cards, and copies of the Book of Mormon to give out. And the ward had a trampoline and a big astro jump slide for the kids, and some little events to pass the time. They made the four elders that were there (including yours truly) participate in a potato sack race. I lost because my potato sack fell down. Bummer.

Anyway, that's pretty much it! Oh, I'm the ward pianist again. I guess all the people who they could count on before to play in sacrament meeting all have stake callings now. So now I get to play again! Woo!

But yeah, things are going well. I'm still in denial that this is my last transfer! I'm not getting trunky! Never! I love you guys!!

luv

elder wiggins

No comments:

Post a Comment